FuRRR Feline Rescue is a nonprofit, no-kill, volunteer-driven organization, a cat rescue organization in NH incorporated in 2015. FuRRR is a cat rescue in NH; not an animal shelter. We have a wide range of cats including elderly, special needs, and at risk of euthanasia kittens and cats from high-kill southern shelters via our southern rescue partners.
To rescue cats from abandonment, provide rehabilitation when necessary, bring our cats and their humans together in adoption and provide a retirement sanctuary to those in need.
How We Care for All Cats
We often take cats that are in need of extensive medical care that may otherwise not get the necessary treatment. Our rehabilitation services include emergency medical care, medicine for chronic conditions, and emotional care for traumatized cats. FuRRR helps our community working with local trappers, taking strays from the streets helping put an end to unwanted animals, as well as taking pets surrendered by their owners for many reasons.
Cats with Medical Needs
All cats in our care are spayed or neutered, receive all appropriate veterinary care and treatment. Our cats live in cage-free communal rooms (except during Intake 48-hour quarantine and Isolation for illness) where they are able to freely roam and socialize with each other and our volunteers. We also have a network of fosters who care for pregnant females, moms with kittens as well as cats that need medical care multiple times per day and aren’t suited for the rescue. FuRRR values working with our community, we are partners with local retail stores. When our cats are healthy, free from behavioral issues, we place them in our adoption network of partner stores. We showcase our cats’ in-store habitats for better exposure and holding monthly adoption events for quicker adoptions. Amazing cats join their new families and the public is educated about adopting cats from rescues.
A Sanctuary for Senior & Special Needs Cats
We provide lifetime sanctuary to cats who may be less desirable to adopting families due to age, chronic illness, behavioral skittishness, or special needs. FuRRR has retirement residents that are/were 18 & 19 years old that were surrendered when their owners passed away. Other residents have neurological disorders and many have behavioral issues. Our volunteers spend extra time with these cats that need special attention. The geographic area we serve is New Hampshire, southern Maine, and northeast Massachusetts. We have even had an adopter fly from Colorado to adopt a bonded pair of kittens from FuRRR!
Non-Profit & 100% Volunteer-Run
We are dedicated to keeping administrative costs low so that virtually every dollar donated goes directly to the care of our cats. 98% of all money contributed is spent directly in support of animal rescue and rehabilitation, with the remaining 2% supporting administration and fundraising. You can view how the funds are used at FuRRR.
We have achieved this with much being paid for by our volunteer Board of Directors. We have a small but growing group of recurring monthly sponsors. FuRRR holds online auctions with amazing items donated by our volunteers and supporters.
These auctions are held on our Facebook page and our supporters look forward to them several times per year. All funds raised benefit our FuRRR cats! When we have cats that come to us with extensive medical needs, we hold online fundraisers on our Facebook page. We have the most amazing supporters who have helped our cats who needed eye enucleation from severe upper respiratory infections in the shelter, to kittens born with eyelid agenesis who needed reconstructive surgery to provide a functional eyelid, to a stray kitten that was found on the side of the road in the rain who needed liver shunt surgery. His name is Turtle (because he moved so slowly when found) and over a year after surgery, he is a happy healthy kitty!
FuRRR believes in fighting for the voiceless cats that have been abandoned, abused, neglected, and forgotten.
An average of 400 to 450 cats per year will pass through our rescue. In 2019 alone, we had a total of 451 cats being adopted to their FuRRRever home! These cats are moved out of high kill southern shelters and locally as strays or owner surrenders. They are given everything needed for vetting and adopted into safe and loving homes. For a new rescue, our numbers of Intake/Adoptions from 2015 to 2016 show our rapid growth. Our social media shows our amazing support from our local community to our national cat rescue community. FuRRR is dedicated to feline rescue and will steadily provide more services in our local community and with our partner stores as our volunteer base grows.